CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Driving Lessons

We need a new car. I've been looking for one for a while now, much to Nate's chagrin. The other day I found one online that looked promising. And it was in town.


So we decided to go look at it. Nate was less than enthusiastic about it, but because he's such a great guy and loves me so much, he came along.

We got there and talked to the dealer a little. It was new to the lot and hadn't even been cleaned yet. He showed it to us anyway. It was just what we've, I mean I've, been looking for. Low miles, one owner, a wagon (I heart wagons!), and at a great price. 

Only one problem: it's a stick shift.

I don't drive stick shifts.

Obviously, I was feeling less than enthusiastic about it after I found out about the unfortunate transmission. Nate was way excited. He loved the price and that it was so clean. I think he was expecting to pay a lot more for the kind of car we want. He was ready to buy the car on the spot. I was more reluctant. Didn't think this was how the day would go. Turns out this is one more way Nate is like my dad: bring him car shopping and he buys a car. Any one who knows my dad knows that he's notorious for getting a little "car crazy." He likes to buy cars. 

Anyway, we decided to go home, look over our finances, pray about it, and decide later. Needless to say, I'm feeling much more nervous about the whole thing than Nate is. He can drive a stick.

So to make me feel better and to see if this is even a possibility for me, Nate and I had a driving lesson tonight. We had the neighbor girl come sit in our house while Jack slept and we went for a drive in Nate's truck.

Yep, I'm 26 years old, 10 years older than most people learning how to drive and there I was, practicing taking off and stopping in the old grocery store parking lot. To make it even worse, there was a dad with is teenage daughter in the same parking lot also having driving lessons. Awesome. I'm hoping I still look young enough that it looked like a 16 year old girl and her brother. Yeah, I'm probably hallucinating.

We'll see if this car thing even happens any time soon. If so, you might want to stay off the roads in the greater Mount Vernon area, just in case I'm practicing.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Love it!

I must say, I'm quite surprised your dad didn't teach you!

Stick shifts are way more fun to drive, in my opinion. You're going to do great!

bethany said...

ummm....i'm a little disturbed by the fact that you HOPED people would think you and nate were brother and sister. i will amp up my prayers for you.

jlmishler said...

Hey, before you know it, you will be all pro. Really, its not too bad once you get the hang of it. I just always hated hills. But you will be fine! Thanks for the congrats BTW! And once again, you will be fine with a stick!

Unknown said...

Just wanted you to know that I was laughing out loud at this, and sometime Cade and I will have to come watch this spectacle.

Lynn said...

Giordi Beth!!!
I have entered the blog world and stumbled onto yours. I'm so excited to see pix of Jack! He is turning into such a cutie, but I wouldn't expect anything less!! I was never the blog stalker, didn't even look at any until 3 weeks ago, but now I must admit, it's pretty stinkin fun :) My family that lives far away loves it too! They check up on me daily now. I will check in on you again :)

Sarah said...

Time for an update, lady!

How's the driving?
How's the baby?
How's work?
Oh and how are you and the husband? :)