CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Proud mama

Yesterday I had a first. 

My friend Beth, who is also my pastor, does a small service at the Life Care Center in Mount Vernon for the residents. It's wonderful, really. There are all these old people shouting out which hymns they'd like to sing, commenting on the scripture, and Beth yelling her head off so they can all hear her. Oh, and sometimes they fall asleep.
I decided to take Jack yesterday since we didn't have anything going on and I figured the residents would like to see him. I plan on going back every week and here's why:
They all loved him! Luckily, he was in a great mood and didn't mind at all being poked and touched. He even gave Catherine the biggest grin he could muster and I'm sure it made her day. It made mine. There was another old guy, Casey, who was so excited about Jack he could hardly stand it. He kept saying, "Well, Jesus Christ!" and "My God!" Taking the Lord's name in vain was never so adorable. And then there was Natalie, who talked to Jack as if they'd been friends for years. She'd ask questions about him and I'd begin to answer but before I could, she'd say something like, "Oh, is that so?" to Jack. They were having a grand old time.
All of this was the first time I'd watched Jack bring true joy to others just by being him. I know it will happen lots more in the future (and I know there will be times when people are less than joyful to be around him). It made me very proud.
We'll see how he behaves himself next week.

5 comments:

bethany said...

jack was awesome! it was so much fun to watch him work the crowd. ;) i'm so glad that he is being brought up in an environment of compassion and Love.
looking forward to reading...
love ya,
b
btw - this does NOT get you off the hook for facebook...

Cassi @ Stop And Smell The Roses said...

Yay Giordi-Bess! Welcome to the club girl! :) Hope you all are doing great. I heard you were home a few weeks ago and I am kicking myself for not getting to see your little munchkin! Anyway, hope you're loving staying at home. :) I have a blog too... add me! Love ya Giordi.
Cass

J said...

When's this little guy going to bring me some joy?! :) Yay for blogs! I miss you so much...we have 9 days of school left! It's crazy.

Steph Jo said...

I love you darling. I can't wait to see you and meet your precious little boy. I miss you so much!

jeffrey greene said...

I wish I could've been there. But wait...old folks homes I can't go into because many of the old men have alstheimers and have recurring nightmares of the korean war...I can't be there trigger. Dumb. By the way, I mentioned you in the blog today.