CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Really?

Sometimes I want to be a stay-at-home mom.


And then I have days like yesterday and I remember that I'm not tough enough.

I brought Jack into the bathroom with me like I usually do to take a shower. I get the garbage out of reach, bring some toys in (although he prefers to play peek-a-boo with the shower curtain and play with tampons), and close the door to prevent escape. We were both doing our thing and I closed my eyes for the ten seconds it takes me to rinse out the conditioner and when I opened them, there is my darling boy standing in the tub with me. In his pajamas. Awesome. He stealthily climbed into my shower fully clothed and diapered. So I had to strip him down and finish my shower with him screaming at me to hold him, as he doesn't really like being in the shower.

After I got both of us dried off and myself wrapped up in a robe that doesn't fit (more on that later), I took him to his room to get dressed. Upon completion, I started picking up stray objects only to turn around and see him standing on the rocking chair knowing that any second he'd fall and kill himself. So I get him down and continue my cleaning and when I turn around again, he's digging in the dirty diaper pail. Gross.

After we get that all sorted out, I shut his bedroom door and took him into the living room to play with his toys while I attempted to put myself together. I came out after a few minutes and noticed he was eating something. A stray Cheerio or graham cracker, you ask? No, it was orange and rather stringy. That's when I realize that he's been chewing on our old orange chair that needs to be reupholstered desperately.

Are you kidding me? All of this happened in a fifteen minute time span and I'm running around in a robe that keeps falling off my shoulders and won't stay tied. (There's an image you wanted in your head.) It was like having twins and a puppy at the same time.

We eventually get out the door, because, as my mom advised I "just needed to get into to public. I'll be nicer to him in public." We went to the library for a little play group. It was our first time attending and I didn't know what to expect. There really wasn't much to it, just other moms and their little kids. Jack was the only boy. Consequently, he was the only kid who didn't sit nicely by his mama and play gently. Oh, no. He was the screeching kid running at full hilt who was throwing little plastic balls all over the place. That's my little gentleman. He actually wasn't being naughty, just energetic.

But then he saw it. A stroller that wasn't his. A stroller he could easily climb. Did I mention he's a climber? Yeah, he climbs everything. So for a while, I let him climb the thing. He wasn't hurting anything, mostly just sitting in the seat. Then he decided to stand up. Not okay. So I pulled him off of it over and over again. Every time he squealed and ran right back to it. Then I tried facing it toward the wall and dropping the tray to make it more difficult to climb into it. No good. He just crawled right over that tray and screamed some more when I dragged him off of it. So charming.

It was one of those times when you feel that all the other moms are wondering why I can't get control of my obnoxious child and why I let him act like such a brat. But that's the thing, he's not a brat. He gets lots of loving, firm and consistent discipline. He's almost always well-behaved. But if there is something to climb, dang it, he's going to climb it. End of story.

So, to all you stay-at-home moms, nice work. I really look up to you. And you deserve a break once in a while. And contrary to what you may be thinking, I really do love my little terror fiercely. He's great fun. He just drives me nuts sometimes.

7 comments:

bethany said...

and if anyone tries to snatch him, we'll shoot em'!

Sarah said...

alright friend, "more on that later" helloooo, you can't do that!!!

Sometimes I wish I worked. Staying home is hard. But I'm sure it's hard to work and be away all day, too.

Then there are times I think it'd be great to put my kids in daycare but still be a stay at home mom. =)

Now THAT would be the LIFE!

Giordi said...

I already did the "more on that later." I explained the poor-fitting bathrobe. And I bought a new one today. Yea.

Cassi @ Stop And Smell The Roses said...

I was expecting you to say that you have a little preggo bump, and that's why your robe didn't fit.

Darn. ;)

How ironic, right? A post about how you almost pulled your hair out, and then at the end you say, "By the way, I'm pregnant." :D

On a happier note, do not worry about your child. I have those days sometimes too. Tomorrow will more than likely be the exact opposite.

Giordi said...

If I was pregnant, I wouldn't be making light of the situation. Definitely not ready!

Steph said...

I'm actually crying right now after reading that because I had that day today too. I really wanted to strangle the little darling, and he's only 4 months old! but then as I'm putting him to bed and he's all snuggled up in my arms I remember how crazy about him I am and that I don't care that much that he spends most of his days puking all over me.

bethany said...

now you should post something about how jack loves to kick old ladies in wheel chairs!!